Chocolate JetBoil Brownie

Chocolate JetBoil Brownie

I have been brainstorming a way to bake while backpacking. Toting along an actual backpacking oven is just too bulky and heavy. I finally figured out a way to use my coffee mug and JetBoil to bake brownies!!  Having a baking background, I was able to pair down a basic brownie recipe to a single serving size, but that makes the measuring at home pretty  important. Use measuring spoons if you want it to be consistent every time.  What this lacks in photogenic qualities, it definitely makes up for with gooey, warm, chocolate goodness!!
At home, I measured out all of the dry ingredients into a Ziploc bag. I have little olive oil packets, so that's what I used for the oil. I find it a little hard to pack without leaking, so these packets are awesome. I ordered them on Amazon. (click here) I am seeing more and more oil in single packets and I think I'm going to try coconut oil next time. I've seen that in packets too. Feel free to try just about any oil. The cocoa will probably over power the flavors of the different oil, so it's your choice what you use. 
Out on the trail, add the oil and 3 T of water
Manipulate the bag around to rehydrate and mix all of the ingredients together. 
Pour into the smaller mug. I also topped it with 1 Tablespoon of dark chocolate chips. You could also add chopped nuts at this point too. 
I added about 1/2 cup to the JetBoil. Don't add too much water. You have to have room for the smaller cup to nest inside. 
The smaller mug floats in the water. Now you're cooking with a double boiler! Bring the water to a boil, then turn the heat down to the lowest you can without it going out. Cook covered for about 20 minutes. 
Then uncover and cook another 5 minutes or to desired doneness. I wanted mine kind of gooey, so I stopped at 5 minutes. 
Here is how it looked in the cup. Nice and hot and gooey delicious!
This turned out to not be a fantastic picture. Trust me when I say it tastes better than it looks. I ate it all before I could take a more appealing picture, it was that good!! YUM!!
Chocolate JetBoil Brownie
Makes 1 serving Print Recipe
Ingredients
Prepare at home:
2 T all-purpose flour
2 T lightly packed brown sugar
2 T dutch process cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 T Ova Easy Egg Crystals
1 T milkman dehydrated milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla bean powder
1T dark chocolate chips (optional)
1T chopped nuts (optional)
On the trail add:
2 packets oil (11ml each) (about 1 1/2 T)
3 T water
In a Ziploc bag, add all of the dry, prepare at home ingredients.
Out on the trail, add 2 packets or 1 1/2 T of oil and the water. Manipulate the bag around to completely mix together all of the ingredients.
Pour into a smaller cup that can fit inside your camp stove. Now is the time to mix in your optional ingredients if you’ve brought them along.
Add 1/2 cup of water to your jet boil and nest the other cup inside, creating a double boiler. Bring the water to a low boil and turn the heat to it’s very lowest. Cook covered for about 20 minutes. Uncover and cook another 5 minutes or until your desired doneness. I wanted mine kind of gooey, so I stopped at 5. Then dig in and enjoy, right out of the cup!!

Comments